Virtual Skipper Forum Index Virtual Skipper
Virtual Skipper - Official Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VirtualSkipper 5 Online
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camster

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game makes a checksum of the skin files which takes account of various factors (size, name, date etc). It stores the checksum in the checksum.txt file. It then compares this text with the checksum it makes of the players' files on line & if it finds a discrepancy, it downloads the new version from the internet.

Thanks to Admiral for this information!

Some players report success with replacing the original skins but I have never been able to reproduce their results. Maybe there is some factor local to their pcs which inhibits the checsum comparison.

The checksum.txt file is in the config folder in the My Documents bit of the file structure.
GibboAus
Matelot

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sandy - the checksum.txt explanation clears a few things up.

Now that we know the source we can maybe sort out a work around.

My idea being that we edit the checksum.txt file to ive it the parametres of the Transparent files and set the then set the Transparent Files in the Cache and the Skins directory to Read only
GibboAus
Matelot

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2009 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

<packdesc>
<name>Skins\Boats\Multi\CHN.zip</name>
<root>data</root>
<file>Skins\Boats\Multi\CHN.zip</file>
<checksum>0xB98D5B265A4A9D7F6B1D7D2CB6E7DFC7</checksum>
<lastuse>01/01/2009 23:11</lastuse>
</packdesc>

That is a record in the Checksum.txt file.

I had a thought (it hurt somewhat)

If we leave the record in the file and remove/comment out the <checksum>#value#</checksum> line would the file checking 'die' and not download the new skin? Or would a new record be written
winterlong
mousse

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2009 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

could anybody make a torrent link of this free version?
my conection is a crap and i cant download from the site.

please please please! ;]
admiral
Amiral

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2009 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
<packdesc>
<name>Skins\Boats\Multi\CHN.zip</name>
<root>data</root>
<file>Skins\Boats\Multi\CHN.zip</file>
<checksum>0xB98D5B265A4A9D7F6B1D7D2CB6E7DFC7</checksum>
<lastuse>01/01/2009 23:11</lastuse>
</packdesc>

That is a record in the Checksum.txt file.

I had a thought (it hurt somewhat)

If we leave the record in the file and remove/comment out the <checksum>#value#</checksum> line would the file checking 'die' and not download the new skin? Or would a new record be written

any progress here?

alternative Idea (haven't tried it yet) in the offchance notion that the checksums are compared locally......

Make new skins with transparent sails -- calculate the md5 Checksum for the altered skin.. replace the kins AND replace the checksum in the Checksum.txt with the new checksum ??

Workaround incase you have trouble determining checksums:

Custom skins are stored in the cache folder in the documents and sttings/all user/vsk/ folder
The checksum is put in there right next to the skin.. so having downloaded the alternative skin you just have to copy the skin to the data folder and the checksum to the checksum.txt file
kiwi_bardy
Amiral

PostPosted: 03 May 2009 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

It got too hard for me to be honest. If anyone else wants to soldier on and manages to make it work they'd have free beer for life when they came to stay at my place...

Of course it'd be really good if Nadeo just made their skins have more transparent sails (especially spinnakers).
admiral
Amiral

PostPosted: 06 May 2009 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

it does not work, almost...
(It looks to be this way but can not confirm 100% without further testing)
at least not for the receipient of non-transparent sails.

However with spreading of default skins with transparent sails.. it could work eventually. And each user only has to change the default skins once.

The good news afaik once replaced default skins are not automatically overwritten.

No matter how the skin is named locally, the checksum makes the recipients system compare skins, and download all skins not available yet.

Hence the checksum of a default skin locally is compared to the skin at the receipient. No matter what skin the receipient has placed under the name of a default skin, the checksum (bit for bit comparison) will make that the real default skin is transfered again and used even when as custom skin then.

What works is that locally the default skins are changed permanently,
for this you have to change the skin, and it's checksum in the cheksum.txt file.

Easiest is to make the changed skins, sail around with them,
then copy the skins over the defaults. and in the checksum.txt file copy their checksums over the checksums of the defaults in the checksum.txt file.

The new default now is the default and the real default skin, now becomes a custom skin (downloaded only once), and you still won't see transparent sails, from others that join with the old default skin. It will work however better and better with each skipper that changes their default skins.

A community effort to create a executable download that would replace the default skins, and the checksums (or if that works..the whole checksum.txt )? freely distributed so newbies install them asap?

Or at least a minor effort for Nadeo to do in the next downloadable update? (i know the community could provide the skins..)

ANOTHER WORK AROUND

(USE AT OWN RISK, I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS)

a possible work around can be: change the sails.dds, spi.dds, sails1.dds, spi2.dds sails2.dds in the vehicle/media/texture/image folder in the vsk folder in your program files folder. to smoething more or less transparent.

Go to your vsk config and uncheck show opponent skins...

You should see transparent sails now though every boat will look boring...
yet you should gain considerably in your frames per second departement.
Camster

PostPosted: 06 May 2009 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bardy, I had so many problems that I gave up. I dont want to use the solution to block download of opponents' skins, so that all the boats have default skins. Although at Northspace, you can download transparent sails for this boat if you want to.

But I do have another clue.:
I had difficulties replacing my own custom skins with another version with the same name. The game woudl refuse to recognise this new version & still show the old skin. Sometimes, even if I removed the skin from the folder, the game would still find it (buried in a Windows Temp folder).

At that time I kept my custom skins in the Program Files/32AC/GameData location. And am using Vista 64. I recently found that this folder is protected against changes by users and the problem has been resolved by changing the folder's properties to allow full control by users. And anyway, I now put my custom skins in Documents/32AC instead.

So maybe the problems with changing the Nadeo Skins are compounded by the protection on this folder?
admiral
Amiral

PostPosted: 07 May 2009 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure i have replaced default skin with an other skin, that didn't change back to the original over multiple sessions...

Cut short on time but i'll be able to test some more soon..
StormIX-POL
mousse

PostPosted: 23 May 2009 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mates,
I think I have been successfull with replacing nadeo files 2 days in row.

1. add custom zip to the relevant gama data folder
2. take a back-up copy of the file you are going to hack
3. remove subject original zip file
4.change the custom zip file name to the exact file name of the one you have just removed. ( I did it like this : 1 click,F2,copy/paste )

that's it. it's been working for 2 days. I shall see then what's gonna be today.

I use XP32 SP3 and administrator account only.

cheers

StormIX-POL
MrHobbir
mousse

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi: I’m just coming on line with Virtual Skipper5 and wanted to say Hi!

I had Virtual Skipper 3 sometime ago but have forgotten a lot. I’m sure, however, that I will pick up what I need to know quickly. I do not actually have my sailing program yet. I’m hoping it will come in the mail this week. I can hardly wait. I’ll be 73 on my next birthday but still love to use my computer. I spent a lot of time on Flight Simulators. Now….. It’s time to go sailing again.

I’m hoping to advance to a point where I can sail on multiplayer. I found it easy on Flight Simulator but haven't got the slightest clue about Virtual Skipper5.

We communicated in Flight Simulators with a program called: “Team Speak”. I do not know it that is available on Virtual Skipper5. Well………… As soon as I get my program I’ll be back in the water. I can hardly wait. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

MrHobbir;

maitai wrote:
I very much hope that this will bring a *lot* of new people to the game..

One question: I understand that there is no restriction apart from having an internet connection if I am a VSK5 registered user. What if I am a free user? One who does not have VSK32 or VSK5 and downloaded the free version. Any restriction in this case?
najevi
Capitaine

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warm welcome to you. Check out http://vsk.wikia.com/wiki/Evolution_of_VSK for answers to common questions about game versions.

When you create a username at Wikia and are invited to write a hello message in the forum please tell me about the Flight Sims you like.
MrHobbir
mousse

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2009 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi najevi. Thanks for the reply. I used Flight SIM FS X.
I joined a Virtual Flight Group know as Bluegrass Airlines. Mostly Bush Pilot Flying in Alaska. Lot's of fun. I just down loaded a free copy of Virtual Skipper 5. I'll get some practice while I wait for my DVD of the same program.

As I use this Free Version, only a few minutes ago, I was surprised how much I had forgotten and how much I have to learn. But I loved it!! Sourire

I can hardly wait to get my own paid version.

MrHobbir

najevi wrote:
A warm welcome to you. Check out http://vsk.wikia.com/wiki/Evolution_of_VSK for answers to common questions about game versions.

When you create a username at Wikia and are invited to write a hello message in the forum please tell me about the Flight Sims you like.

rsabd
mousse

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEOPLE!!!!!!, i need your help. ive been trying to get online withthis thing, but i just cant seem to do it. there must be a firewall issue, but i havent got a clue on how to work these things. please help me.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: