Virtual Skipper Forum Index Virtual Skipper
Virtual Skipper - Official Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can a burdened skipper be accused of exploitin his position?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBlue
mousse

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012 0:30    Post subject: Can a burdened skipper be accused of exploitin his position? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm having a lot of fun learning competitive sailing. Just a quick a question concerning the nuances of right of way and sportsmanship, my own and others.

I think I understand the meaning of Pen-Hunting(short for penalty hunting?) but is there an equivalent term for the behavior of a burdened skipper exploiting his position to prevent another to tack?
CANKnot

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tactics? A burdened boat must let the ROW (Right Of Way) boat sail her course without interference, but that does not include room to tack (unless R19 applies). As soon as the ROW passes head to wind she is no longer ROW as R13 requires her to keep clear of other boats. So as long as the keep clear boat is able to keep clear while the ROW boat luffs up she is meeting her obligation to keep clear.

This is a common tactic in team racing when trying to force an opponent to sail extra distance.
BigBlue
mousse

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly clear!

Thanks Canknot
Alx
Matelot

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

When you start learning VSK and competitive sailing you will see other gamers as competitors... as you learn the rules you will find more ways to exploit them to pass boats or put them in a difficult position... ofcourse you do that within the rules...

As you become more and more competitive and thus believe you are in a good level, you will find that making friends and have a fun time is all about fair sailing... You will know that is much more enjoyable passing someone head to head rather than fiddle with the two boat lengths for example... because you know that if someone else is exploiting the rules against you is quite annoying, right?

Have fun
kiwi_bardy
Amiral

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alx wrote:
because you know that if someone else is exploiting the rules against you is quite annoying, right?

No, not at all. Why would that be annoying? All power to them I say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: