Virtual Skipper Forum Index Virtual Skipper
Virtual Skipper - Official Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SOLVED] VSK Graphic Card Probs - Card List & Workaro
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camster

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2014 15:37    Post subject: [SOLVED] VSK Graphic Card Probs - Card List & Workaro Reply with quote

In various topics there have been reports of new Graphic Cards which cannot display VSK menus and prevent VSK being played. I thought it night be helpful to have a list of cards which have been reported to work and also those which have had problems. I'll update this list when I see new comments.

Maybe it will help with decisions about new purchases and also I hope some technical guy can see what to do to fix it if possible. It seems to me it is not just about the new cards because it looks as if some newer cards work in certain PCs.

Please anyone with good or bad experiences of new cards, let us know - then we can make the list more complete.

Edit Aug '16:
It seems a solution to this problem has been found by Raskil, using the Action Compatibility Toolkit fro Microsoft. You can read the post in this topic but .....

Edit Nov'16
Raskil has found a second solution which may be a better alternative because it solves the blurry textures issue. This can be found in this topic. Here is the link ... http://www.virtualskipper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37030#37030

Also here is the link to the solution to the incorrect mouse pointer position in windowed mode ... http://www.virtualskipper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37327#37327

Problem List:
Gainward NVidia 760GTX 4GB with Windows 10
NVIDIA GEForce GTX 580 3 Mb RAM.
NVidia GTX 780
ASUS laptop with GTX 670MX graphics
AMD 9750 and the new R9 280x, latest driver.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, Windows 8.1.
nVdia GT730, Windows 8.1 64bit
Toshiba Satellite with Nvidia 510M
ASUS G750J Geforce GTX 770M
nvidia 460 gtx - slow frame rate with updated drivers
Nvidia 980 ti with Windows 10
MSI Nvidia GTX 1080 Aero (8GB) Windows 10. However, if Windows 7 The card work fine.

Good List:
XFX R7770 Model number "XFX FX-777A-ZDF4 Radeon HD7000 Series".
It works out of the box with the current AMD drivers downloaded from the AMD website (dated December '14) with Windows 8.1

NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS (drivers November 2013 or so)
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 4GB, Intel Quad Q6600, Vista
NVIDIA GE FORCE SERIES 200, (GTX 280 and also a GTX 295)
Gainward NVidia 760GTX 4GB, Intel i5-2599, Windows 7. Driver detail - Version 9.8.13.3165 (from enclosed CD). Note would not work with Windows 10.
GTX 670 on Windows 8 Pro
NVidia GT 630M in Acer V3-571 Laptop
nvidia GEFORCE GTX 750Ti by Galaxy
NVidia GeForce 460 GTX with Windows 10
NVidia GeForce 8800GTS with Windows 10
NVIDIA GT 610 on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 MoBo. AMD FX-4300 CPU and 16GB DDR3 ram. Windows 7.
Nvidia GTX 870M c/w 6GB Graphics memory running on an ASUS G750JS-T4129H laptop, is pin sharp and stable in Windows10. The built-in Intel graphics is not being used.
ASUS ROG G20CB-NR020T DT with: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 2 GB graphic card using Windows 10
Asus STRIX ROG 1070 OC 8MB with OS: Win 7 Home Premium 64bit, MoBo: Asus 970 AURA, AMD FX-4300 CPU.

Doubtful List
MSI R7770 on Gigabyte 9900FXAv-UD3 MoBo. Needed some tweaks - see the post below (currently on page 2).[/url]

Last edited by Camster on 13 Feb 2017 16:54; edited 31 times in total
JibeAndrew
mousse

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for making this list!
Camster

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2014 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Sourire
Another entry on the 'good' side for the NVidia 8800 GTS
baleen
mousse

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the list. Hoping to get to play some time again. But meanwhile, warning sailing buddies against buying this product.
Camster

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2014 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Baleen

Thanks for your posts about this subject. it would be helpful if you tell us what the name of your graphic card is and what are the specs of your system, so that this list can be more complete.
baleen
mousse

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've already got my OS/graphics card in there. Windows 8.1, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB. Let me know if you need any other info.
Camster

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2014 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Thanks Baleen - I've updated with the extra info.
baleen
mousse

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2014 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping a resolve for this at some point. Just sold my old computer, before I did, hooked it up and logged in for one last time.

You guys are losing players and if something better comes along, vsk5 will die.

Last you'll see of me until I can actually play this thing again.

Baleen (ex-Bebop of Bebop's Big Stick Theory)
fosterbarry
Amiral

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2014 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased an nvidia GEFORCE GTX 750Ti by Galaxy (www.galaxytech.com). Works on full settings (had to uncheck motion blur). Cost $AUS200
Camster

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2014 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this Baz Clin d'oeil
Camster

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2015 10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated List to include a success with a Radeon HD7000 Series (XFX FX-777A-ZDF4)
Camster

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2015 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 10 issues:

I have a Desktop PC with the Graphic Card: Gainward NVidia 760GTX 4GB,Driver Version 9.8.13.3165 (from enclosed CD).

VSK ran with no problems till I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The Driver had been disabled and NVidia software prompted me to install a Windows 10 version, which I did.

With the new driver, VSK had the previously reported menu display issues and would not run. I uninstalled the new driver and went back to my original driver, but the problem with VSK remained the same.

I found a couple of old Graphic Cards and luckily for me, they have both allowed VSK to run using the driver I had originally. These Cards which work with my Windows 10 are :
NVidia GeForce 8800GTS
NVidia GeForce 460GTX
Alx
Matelot

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2015 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way 2 things:

1. Uninstalled the driver of my new 730 card and with no driver on the card i could get in the game, see the graphics and all however it was very laggy

2. Once I uninstalled the driver of the 730 card I tried to force to install an older driver of the 8800 series which obviously did not work as it did not allow to install.

I think it is purely the new driver package of nVidia (2014 I read somewhere) that is not compatible with the game, and people with slightly older cards which however where not designed for the new drivers might see the game to work.
I think it's not an issue with Windows as we see many with preloaded 8.1 can play the game
Camster

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2015 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for more info on this topic Alex. I agree it's not Windows10 probably that is the trouble but the upgrade from 7 to 10 caused the graphic driver to be disabled and i had to reinstall a new one.

It would have been better if I had reinstalled the original driver and maybe the problem would not have occurred. But doing this to replace the new one did not make the problem go away.

Shortl after all this my Windows 10 got stuck in a loop during a forced Windows upgrade and I was offered the option to go back to Windows 7. So I did this and am now back with 7.
VelaPiano
mousse

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2015 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mates! Periodically I look at the forum with the hope to have a fix for sailing again. I'm the owner of the GTX580 3MB listed into the Camster's list. First of all, thank you Camster for your invaluable dedication to help the community.
I wonder to find a way to have the game working with the GTX580, because it is weird to see that it works with few recent adapters.
Any idea? Please, don't post to change the adapter, lol!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: