Virtual Skipper Forum Index Virtual Skipper
Virtual Skipper - Official Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VSK3, Starforce, Vista, & Dell not working 4 me - Help p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scargill
mousse

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2007 9:31    Post subject: VSK3, Starforce, Vista, & Dell not working 4 me - Help p Reply with quote

Hello Forum members.

I have run VSK3 on an old slow laptop under Windows XP without problems.

I have just upgraded to a new Dell laptop running Windows Vista, and cannot get past an error screen headed "copy protection system". It reports there is "An Error Encountered". I suspect StarForce does not like something.

I have read the game forums and upgraded the vsk3 game with the v1.2 update. StarForce has been upgraded with srdrvup.exe
The game will not launch from vsk3.exe, and it does not matter how I try to launch it. It has been uninstalled and reinstalled. It still stalls with the Copy Protection System saying "an error encountered". I do not get to the option of entering the installation keys.

The hardware is a Dell Latitude. It contains a TSST corp DVD+-RW TS-L632D ADA device drive.

Can anyone tell me what I must do to get the game to run, as I have long looked forward to being able to run it on a faster machine, and now find that this is very frustrating. Thank you for any help.

Mike
fosterbarry
Capitaine

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2007 11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

People still play vsk3!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to can that dinosaur and get the latest. Your new mates are waiting for you there. Tr?s content
CANKnot

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2007 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most likely correct suspecting StarForce and probably the order in which you update things matters. Did you try following these instructions? Also make sure that you are using the correct key. One key is use to activate the game and the other is used for online play. The activation key is posted in a sticky at the top of this forum.

With VSK5 only a few weeks away I wouldn't recommend VSK4 to anyone at the moment (it is on sale on the Nadeo site though).

Hope this helps,
Keith
Scargill
mousse

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2007 17:14    Post subject: I'm guessing StarForce is overprotective Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your suggestion. I had seen the instructions you suggest, and had already followed them. Even though they refer to VSK4, I had seen a post that suggested a user of VSK3 had success with them.

Since I posted the question, I have uninstalled some likely candidates from the machine and then reinstalled VSK3 & StarForce, hoping to have removed some hidden conflict. Without any success. I still get the same error screen as before, without even having the opportunity to put in any key.

I read the points made by FosterBarry and yourself about upgrading. The error window suggests that the fault lies in the StarForce copy protection component rather than VSK, so new versions of the game will make no difference. The copy protection system appears over-sensitive to something on my system, and StarForce's website says they will not take queries from end users.

I'm very disappointed, as it looks like VSK is over for this user - unless I ditch either the machine or Vista or both.
Camster

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2007 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a month or so for VSK5 - I imagine it will work fine with Vista and it's likely to be a better bet that VSK4 for you.
Scargill
mousse

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2007 22:34    Post subject: StarForce Seperate from VSK Reply with quote

Hi Campster,

I think some clarification is needed here. When we buy VSK, we get two products. The first is obviously VSK. The second is hidden from the user, and would not normally be seen. StarForce is a commercial copy-protection application which installs as a root kit. This is why the game has to reboot the machine (installing StarForce at the very lowest levels of the machine) before it will start. It is attached to VSK by the game owners (and also many other commercial games) to prevent the code being hacked, cracked, copied, and pirated. Fair enough to try and protect your earnings from months or years of work.

The error I am getting appears to be nothing connected to VSK and everything to do with the copy protection system. I believe it looks at the kind of drives on the machine, any copy applications, and suspicious calls to the operating system. StarForce will prevent the game being used for anything suspicious, and I think that is what it is happening on my machine

If I am correct, then whenever VSK comes packaged with the StarForce protection system, I am not going to be allowed to run VSK with my current configuration. I may easily be wrong about some of the detail and hope someone can correct mistakes. However I believe the basics are correct, and therefore there is no good purpose in buying new releases of software.

I worry that support in any case, may be lacking. StarForce is designed to stop hackers, and since it has stopped me, to some minds I must be a hacker.

No. I am not a hacker. I am a user with a legitamate purpose (I paid for the software so that I could play it!), but with a new configuration that does not play the game. VSK / StarForce, over to you. Surely this is worth a bit of investigation?
M-1
Capitaine

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2007 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camster wrote:
Wait a month or so for VSK5 - I imagine it will work fine with Vista and it's likely to be a better bet that VSK4 for you.

Agree.
_________

Scargill and other's.
Much strong racers and the advanced users cannot start VSK4 under Vista.
The fact.
Therefore, forget about VSK3,4 for Vista...
If you do not wish to be involved in "fascinating" employment of struggle against a "hard and soft". Embarass
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: