Virtual Skipper Forum Index Virtual Skipper
Virtual Skipper - Official Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Kick all non-finished boats" button.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspan
Matelot

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011 17:45    Post subject: "Kick all non-finished boats" button. Reply with quote

Hi all - I have hosted races in Virtual Skipper for a year now.
Currently 4000+ races and still counting.

One thing that I truely miss is a "Kick all non-finished boats" button.

This could come in really handy for all hosts - since it can sometimes be a pain to find the specific boats that has not yet finished - as well as it would be real nice to have - when auto hosting.

Let me know what you think - so I can pass more than just my own opinion on to Nadeo.

Cheers,
OutSpan

-----------------

Salut à tous - j'accueille depuis plus d'un an maintenant des courses de Virtual Skipper. Déja 4000 courses et ce n'est pas fini.

La chose que me manque vraiment c'est un bouton pour pouvoir éliminer les bateaux fantômes qui ne finiront pas la course

Cela peut-être vraiment pratique pour tous les "auto-hosteurs" car il est pénible de rechercher les bateaux fantômes.

Faites-moi savoir ce que vous pensez ainsi je pourrais faire passer plus que mes propres désirs à l'équipe de Nadéo
Amitiés
Outspan

Last edited by Outspan on 15 Nov 2011 14:52; edited 1 time in total
artwales
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 10:03    Post subject: kick all none finishing boats Reply with quote

hi
i agree with Outspan with regards a button to erase all none finishing boats. there is nothing worse than all finishers to wait and wait for boats
that have no intention of finishing .ie the race cant finish in the normal way with points being allocated

artwales
onur.yasarlar
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 10:21    Post subject: Kick all non-finished boats Reply with quote

I wish there is a dedicated server solution but there isn't any so I am hosting games with a autohotkey script on my server. And I am having the same difficulty as you.

Outspan i am completely agree with you. If this feature can be added it would be so usefull.

I believe NADEO could add this feature with a simple patch.

Onur Yaşarlar
JohnHolme
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to strongly agree with outspan. It's VERY frustrating to spend half to one hour doing your best to no avail. It kind of kills the fun and excitement. I really wish for an obtion to get rid of the so called Ghost problem or just players who aint able to finish in time and don't go spectating.
ned3055
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 11:56    Post subject: Re: "Kick all non-finished boats" button. Reply with quote

Hi All/Nadeo,

I would like to emphasize to great succes of the Outspan server.
Continuous improvement is of the essense to make the succes last. After all, this succes is also the succes of NADEO!

I would therefore strongly suggest to add a solution for 'ghosts' dureing racing prohibiting other ailors from getting well deserved points.

The solution suggested bu Outspan sounds great and I stroingly support his request.

Nadeo, please help this supurb server (and Host) to improve even more!

Beste regards
Vejrhansen
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea!
Id
kick boats sailing without captain after a certain period of 15 min. which are currently at Outspan's host.
But it would be in Nadeo's interest that as many as possible have the opportunity to sail the wonderful game.
When I started 6 months ago, there was often filled up on the servers. without the opportunity to go online.
With "Outspan Auto Host" has since he started, always been many who otherwise had to wait for access to a server to join.
In other words: Outspan has made the possibility of many more people can participate, and should be an eye opener for Nadeo, in order to distribute the game in all corners of the world.
I wait with hope that Nadeo will look at it, and possibly. release the source code, or even code an opportunity for the host's to get that opportunity on the platform.

Good Work Outspan!
Good Wind
Regards
www.vejrhansen.dk Fl?che
Sobeg
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a very good idea.

Nadeo, please help this supurb server (and Host) to improve even more!
Regards: Sobeg
29er(Ger) Allinaz
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

I agree with all the other 'Skippers' here.
This option makes racing fair again and helps the Host to have more fun while hosting the races!

Regards, 29er Allianz
calibo
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea!!!!

Nadeo, help Outspan's host to do more pleasure the races. It is really unpleasure to finish the race and not receive any points because there are some boats without skipper, and the keep their boat race after race, doing all boring and without sense.-
To have a button to eject this player would be very usefull.-

We need add to improve.-

Good work Outspan!!!

Exits!!!

Calibo
paulh1
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I totaly agree with outspan.
The site needs the option to eliminate people who show no consideration
or responsiblity to others by leaving their boats unattended, and denying
all others the rights to there points.
paulh1
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think virtual skipper should make an effort and work closely with people who are embarking on the adventure of autohosting.
Auto hosting is adding another dimension to internet sailing. If anyone has
played cricket, it is like the introduction of 1 day tests as apposed to traditional 5 days tests. This new form of game revolutionized the cricket game as we know it.
The advantages of auto hosting are
1. you know you are going to be able to enter a race every 15 min cycle

2. you know the host is not going to put you through mupltiple restarts

3. Everyone can cancel pens and not be subjected to nadeo npc bullshit.
(the rules have to be revised for computer sailing and not real life)

4. The new scoring system from the auto host gives a new challenge to reach for all racers, and not just the sailors who have been sailing the the last 5 years in order to reach the top of the points table.

regards Paul Hursey
diwali
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Having frequent insomnias I wake up between 2 and 5 in the morning (CEST)
What a pleasure to go on VSK and be sure the outspan autohost is here.
Unfortunately this is also the time for ghosts stealing all my points.
Please Mr and Mrs Nadeo, give Outspan the tiny little button he's asking you...With the exception of kicking me of course . Tr?s content

Thank you again Allan
Ptero
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree!

To make it simple for Nadeo, the function could simply the addition of an option in the kick player screen that is kick all boats not finished. Even in a monitored hosting enlivenment this would be helpful. It would allow us to quickly kick those lost boats.
Outspan
Matelot

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011 21:38    Post subject: Thanks guys! Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the nice words about my auto host server.
I like it - that you like it Sourire

Dear Nadeo.

My main focus to make sure as many players as possible are happy and have fun.

The fact that you can gain points and "measure up" against other players is a major keypoint in racing Virtual Skipper and this is why I do these monthly races.

Unfortunately "ghosting issue" has caused me to have a black list with more than 150 players - since many new players dont know to log off properly as well as dont always read the message in the chat Triste

I do not know the source code of Virtual Skipper.
My suggestion with the "kick all players still sailing" is what I THINK would be the easiest way of implementing a fix.

[screenshot of what it COULD look like]
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/kickscreen.png/

If you can find a faster, cheaper way of achieving this goal. Then by all means do it that way.

With the hope that you still have some VSK dedicated resources at Nadeo...

Allan // OutSpan
CANKnot

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy,

I agree with all the sentiments posted, but I just wanted to chime in with a few observations.

Getting Nadeo/UBISoft to make any code changes to VSK5 itself is a tall order. While the changes themselves may seem trivial, Nadeo hasn't had a programmer working on the VSK code base in years. So even a trivial change to the code will require thousands of dollars (Euros) in programmer time. The cost isn't so much making the changes, as getting the programmer up to speed and making sure any changes do not break anything else. As I said, a tall order.

Having said that, Nadeo has made changes to allow access to the stats server API and fixed a bug with the way results files are generated. So maybe there is some hope (maybe).

One possibility might be to have VSK write an updated results files every X seconds/minutes rather than just at the end of the race. The updated results files would have to include the IP address of every skipper so the host could read the file and close the socket to IP addresses that have not finished.

The tricky bit is to figure out how to close a socket that another program is using in a AutoHotkey script. Maybe there is a networking guru out there that knows how to do it, but I haven't found it (yet). Alternatively the IP addresses could be added to the black list to prevent the same "ghost" from screwing up subsequent races.

Of course all of this would depend on VSK writing out login names, boat names, and IP address to a file of some sort.

But doesn't VSK also support "white lists"? That is, only IP addresses listed in the white list are allowed to join races on that server. If so, the auto-host could require participants to "register" at some web site that recorded their IP address and added it to the white list on the server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Main Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: