Virtual Skipper Forum Index Virtual Skipper
Virtual Skipper - Official Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SOLVED] VSK Graphic Card Probs - Card List & Workaro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alx
Matelot

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2015 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my theory which might be wrong but here it is:

I read somewhere that nVidia introduced a new driver package in 2014. It appears that this is not compatible with VSK.

it is possible that some graphic adapter - latest ones might have been designed for this new driver package (like on my pc for eg.) which means that whatever we do we cannot play VSK with this graphic adapter.
Some other people that CAN play the game with their new pc, might have bought a pc that has slightly older graphic card, which was designed before the new nVidia driver package.

If some of you guys are thinking of buying a new pc and see the issues here with the new graphc cards, I suggest you buy a pc with an onboard graphic card on they motherboard in addition to an external graphic card.

The game plays perfectly even with an Intel onboard graphic adapter, in fact I was playing the game on my laptop which had an onboard Intel graphic adapter & an nVidia 500-something card.

I was doing some testing and when i was disabling the Intel card, so the game was played with nVidia I could only see boxes. So I forced VSK to only use the Intel card.

On my new (November '14) desktop I could not play the game because of the card, and unfortunately there wasn't an option for a second card on the same motherboard.

Therefore I took out the new nVidia 730 and installed on the new pc my old nVidia8800 which after downloding the new drivers for Win10 now plays perfectly.

So guys, if you want a new pc make sure it comes also with an onboard Intel card, plays perfectly with that
Camster

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2015 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

VelaPiano wrote:
Hello mates! Periodically I look at the forum with the hope to have a fix for sailing again. I'm the owner of the GTX580 3MB listed into the Camster's list. First of all, thank you Camster for your invaluable dedication to help the community.
I wonder to find a way to have the game working with the GTX580, because it is weird to see that it works with few recent adapters.
Any idea? Please, don't post to change the adapter, lol!

I am not any kind of expert on the subject of PCs and hardware but from my own observation, I agree with what Alx wrote above and think that some Graphic Cards that needs one of the new drivers will not support VSK. My guess is that the 580 is one of those cards and that it will require one of the new NVidia drivers, so I think it will not work.

Now I am back to Windows 7, I am having to use an old Graphic card to enable VSK, although the new one worked fine before I tried to upgrade to Windows 10. Computers are just méchant.
Kendodblg
mousse

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an NVIDIA GT 610 on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.1) mobo and the game plays fine @ 1920x1080 if you turn some of the quality settings down and there aren't 25+ boats on the server.

PC has an AMD FX-4300 CPU and 16GB DDR3 ram. The video card is attached to the MOBO via PCIe-x16 slot.

The video card processes all the video as the MOBO has no built no video support and I don't believe AMD FX processors function as an APU.

Running Win 7 Home Premium 64bit service pack 1.

Cheers

Kenny
Camster

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Kenny!
mcrae
mousse

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2015 21:14    Post subject: Nvidia GTX 870M with Win10 works well Reply with quote

Nvidia GTX 870M c/w 6GB Graphics memory running on an ASUS G750JS-T4129H laptop, is pin sharp and stable in Windows10. The built-in Intel graphics is not being used.

This was not the case in Windows8.1. In 8.1 it generally rendered slightly jagged hull graphics, whereas sails' graphics, particularly spinnakers, could vary between well rendered to a blur during the course of a race. Possibly something to do with the dynamic 3D nature of the spinnaker. I did try changing a number of the graphics settings (so many to choose from:-), but I'm no expert, and that may have been part of my problem in 8.1.
Camster

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you macrae - info added
Kendodblg
mousse

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed an MSI R7770 (MSi's version of an AMD HD 7770) and while it works there are some anomalies...

Most of the game's data, windows and buttons appear to quite soft/fuzzy compared to my old card (NVIDIA GT610). Please see the following samples.

MSI R7770:

NVIDIA GT610:

I've used every driver than I can find for the MSI card and each has the same blurred/fuzzy result. (note: I did not change my games settings in the launcher utility; they have remained consistent).

While the increase in FPS is welcomed; the loss in quality is far less than ideal.

Any suggestions on setting up the MSI card in order to get the quality back to par? The game worked well this-morning with the NVIDIA GT610 but not so much with the new(ish) MSI R7770.

Here's a link to several more image captures while using the MSI R7770: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxWVz5lUnVBMN2hNMmQ2REIxMG8&usp=sharing

System info:
CPU: AMD FX-4300 CPU
RAM: 16GB DDR3 memory (1600MZ)
MOBO: Gigabyte 9900FXA-UD3 / Rev. 4.1
HDD/SSD: Samsung Evo 850 SATA drive
GPU: MSI R7770 PCI-e. part/product numbers on the box's label read: 912-V271-013 and R7770-PMD-1GD5

Cheers and thanks!

Kenny
Camster

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2015 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help but I know almost nothing about video card setup.
Hope someone else can offer suggestions
Kendodblg
mousse

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending some time on TeamViewer with Shillelagh; I'm quite happy to report that the MSI R7770 (PMD1GD5) works quite well on the machine detailed below.

A couple of drivers needed to be updated and we had to set "AGP Usage" to apx 80% in the game's configuration screen.

Cheers

Kenny

Kendodblg wrote:
I installed an MSI R7770 (MSi's version of an AMD HD 7770) and while it works there are some anomalies...

Most of the game's data, windows and buttons appear to quite soft/fuzzy compared to my old card (NVIDIA GT610). Please see the following samples.

MSI R7770:

NVIDIA GT610:

I've used every driver than I can find for the MSI card and each has the same blurred/fuzzy result. (note: I did not change my games settings in the launcher utility; they have remained consistent).

While the increase in FPS is welcomed; the loss in quality is far less than ideal.

Any suggestions on setting up the MSI card in order to get the quality back to par? The game worked well this-morning with the NVIDIA GT610 but not so much with the new(ish) MSI R7770.

Here's a link to several more image captures while using the MSI R7770: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxWVz5lUnVBMN2hNMmQ2REIxMG8&usp=sharing

System info:
CPU: AMD FX-4300 CPU
RAM: 16GB DDR3 memory (1600MZ)
MOBO: Gigabyte 9900FXA-UD3 / Rev. 4.1
HDD/SSD: Samsung Evo 850 SATA drive
GPU: MSI R7770 PCI-e. part/product numbers on the box's label read: 912-V271-013 and R7770-PMD-1GD5

Cheers and thanks!

Kenny
Camster

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kenny for the update. I created a new list 'Doubtful', just for you Sourire
jampit
Matelot

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016 18:35    Post subject: Graphics Reply with quote

Having upgraded to Windows 10, I had a slightly different problem- I use a laptop with an Intel Graphics card- which worked well when I used W8.1, unfortunately with W10, it does not recognise the DirectX drivers. VSK5 looks for DirectPlay which is not available. VSK 5 (online) did run - reasoably well - if this was ignored. So you can soldier on if that is the case.

Having then gone for VSK5 - I cannot activate it!! Support at Virtual-skipper has gone too! Confus
Rojoyinc
mousse

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2016 17:47    Post subject: Will they patch it? Reply with quote

I have new Alienware i7 screamer with nVideo GTS 980 - the menu's are screwed up no font shows just blocks of white where there would be text.

= ( Trying sailing sim 5 now...
Pascal55
mousse

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting Tr?s content thank you for this list Sourire

http://www.voyance-et-magie.org
http://www.voyance-et-magie.org/choisir-voyance-virtuelle
http://www.voyance-et-magie.org/apprendre-voyance
http://www.voyance-et-magie.org/rapport

Last edited by Pascal55 on 21 Jun 2016 21:10; edited 1 time in total
Rojoyinc
mousse

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2016 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alienware A51 with NVidia 980 TI (runs everything)
except this game menus are messed up.

could it be a direct X thing? as in new version is being used and not supported?
Rojoyinc
mousse

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2016 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAILING SIM 5 works fine.

I have over 200 games ALL WORK - except this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: