Virtual Skipper Forum Index Virtual Skipper
Virtual Skipper - Official Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SOLVED] VSK Graphic Card Probs - Card List & Workaro
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Technical Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raskil
mousse

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey T.J.R. does you nvidia control panal contain a Setting for negative lod bias (In the gloabal 3d settings) if so, what value is it set to?

Regards

Raskil
T.J.R
mousse

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

texture filtering negative lod bias - was set to allow, changed it to Clamp with 0 effect.

It's almost as if (having worked on skins before) and known the DDS file format compiles multi-pal resolutions of textures depending on distance from the camera that it's choosing to use the lowest resolution humanly possible in order to do what? save memory? does it think my graphics card is a throw back from the 80s lol Sourire
Raskil
mousse

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was why I let you try the 2GB Memory Size fix from ACTK. Its in fact a common problem of old games, that they cant determine huge memory sizes (because the size is calculated in bits sometimes, and a 32-bit integer might not be big enough). The result is a game that always choose the worst textures, because it thinks it needs to save memory Sourire
T.J.R
mousse

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raskil wrote:
Well, that was why I let you try the 2GB Memory Size fix from ACTK. Its in fact a common problem of old games, that they cant determine huge memory sizes (because the size is calculated in bits sometimes, and a 32-bit integer might not be big enough). The result is a game that always choose the worst textures, because it thinks it needs to save memory Sourire

Yeah makes sense, wonder if there is a debugging tool that'd pin point the problem / logging tool.

If I was a smarter programmer than I am, I'd disassemble the thing but I don't know x86 asm code, so the adventure would be kind of pointless, not to mention then I'd be binary incompatible with servers and it'd throw me out, er overboard.
Raskil
mousse

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is a debug version of DirectX in the SDK, you can install that and capture the debug output with the windows debugger or with tools like https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/debugview.aspx.
So you can get an Idea what directx and especially direct draw are doing in you case. No idea if that can pinpoint the problem.
T.J.R
mousse

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raskil wrote:
Well, there is a debug version of DirectX in the SDK, you can install that and capture the debug output with the windows debugger or with tools like https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/debugview.aspx.
So you can get an Idea what directx and especially direct draw are doing in you case. No idea if that can pinpoint the problem.

Me either to be honest, I often wondered why they don't just release the source code to the game, clearly they not doing anything either with the name or the game.

If I have any more bright sparks of inspiration or I fix it I'll definitely post what it was.
Raskil
mousse

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I understand why they don't release the source code. Ther is usually alot involved on the legal side when doing so. But it would be great when developers whould deliver theire games whith debugging symbols. That would make fault analysis a whole lot easier.

Nevertheless, if I stumble upon more ideas, I'll post them here aswell.
fosterbarry
Amiral

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.J.R wrote:

... I often wondered why they don't just release the source code to the game,....

If memory serves me correctly, I believe at about vsk3, they used the Trackmania code to upgrade the game. Releasing the code would probably open up their most successful money spinner as well.

I'd like a scenery editor so the players could steadily upgrade the game.
Albervita
mousse

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is the right place to post my comments to Batboat in the post "major issues" :
After killing with my car the old notebook (G75W with Win7 64bit and GTX670M) inappropriately lying in the parking (grrrr) ...., I bought a G752V with Win10 64bit and GTX970M. At first installation the VSK5 appeared exactly as described by Batboat. After an understandable discomfort I found the solution thanks to the post http://www.virtualskipper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7639&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30 (thanks Raskil !!!!!!!).
Then the only problem was finding the correct settings because the automatic settings suggested for the video card resulted in blurry skins and some instruments.
At the time, but if you have suggestions post it here please, the best compromise I've found is:
1. Graphic
- Activate full screen 1366x768 (> 4: 3 Wide). I have a 17 "screen
- Graphic personalized activated on High quality Resulting in Shadow PC3 low quality, texture high quality, anisotropic filtering x4
- X4 antialiasing
2 Game
ignore players skins deactivated
-sea High quality
- Boats quality: all high
- Crew: all boat
- Boat bow: all boats
- Background quality: high
If there is no problem I would probably translate the Raskil tips for my Italian friends. Thx
Cheers
Alberto
Alx
Matelot

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

So less than 2 years ago bought a gaming pc with good hardware (then) only to find I could not play the game (same boxes as described in previous posts)

I replaced the then new card Nvidia730 with my old 8800 Ultra. Yesterday it gave up after 8 years in total in various machines and I had to revert to my newer card, the one that did not play with the game

Applied the fix by Raskil and it worked, as described in previous posts... Raskil Well Done and much appreciated help.

First thing noted was the blur described by JTR, applied the compatibility tool, and probably every game setup possible, unfortunately the blur is still there.
I would not mind it but the poor sea rendering in this case is a bit disappointing (looking at the sea state you cannot make outif it's 15kts or 25kts wind) ... still playable though for now and until I decide to probably buy a compatible card (as per the list by Sandy)..

Apart from the sea rendering, you can see the blur on the instrument readings, buttons, skins, sharp landscape etc.

This is the best possible result so far

Raskil
mousse

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any screenshot how things look like when the graphics are good?
Alx
Matelot

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raskil wrote:
Is there any screenshot how things look like when the graphics are good?

As many as you want

Raskil
mousse

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm experiencing the problem as well Sourire I just didn't know how good it could look.
I had a solution this morning, but it only worked once and I was not able to replicate it. But at least it showed that there is a solution for it. I'll keep you posted.
Raskil
mousse

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2016 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've come up with a solution:

1. If you applied my earlier fix, you need to remove the Microsoft App Compat Toolkit fix you created erarlier. Therefore start the 32-Bit App Tollkit, open the node "Installed Databases" in the left view pane, right click the database that you installed earlier, click "uninstall".
2. Download this little tool: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd (It's a DirectX Wrapper with many compatibility settings).
3. Unzip the tool to a folder of you choice and start DxWnd.exe
4. Click on Edit->Add
5. Fill in a Name in the Name Box (e.g. vsk5)
6. For Path and Launch Select the vsk5.exe or vsk5online.exe
7. Uncheck the "Run in Windows" Checkbox
8 Switch to the "DirectX(2)" panel and check "Forces HEL"
3. Switch to the "Libs" Panel and uncheck "Remap Client Rect"
9. click OK
10. Right Click the VSK5 that shows up in the list now.
11. click "run"

A Note: Unlike the MS App Compat Toolkit, you need to start vsk5 through the dxwnd interface, otherwise the fixes are not applied.

Enjoy VSK5 without blurry textures Sourire

Last edited by Raskil on 24 Jan 2017 12:28; edited 6 times in total
Alx
Matelot

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2016 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raskil wrote:
Ok, I've come up with a solution:

1. You need to remove the Microsoft App Ccompat Toolkit fix you created erarlier. Therefore start the 32-Bit App Tollkit, Load the database you created and remove all the fixes that are inside of the DB. After that, save the DB and install it again (to remove the fix).
2. Download this little tool: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd (It's a DirectX Wrapper with many compat settings).
3. Unzip the tool to a folder of you choice and start DxWnd.exe
4. Click on Edit->Add
5. Fill in a Name in the Name Box (e.g. vsk5)
6. For Path and Launch Select the vsk5.exe or vsk5online.exe
7. Uncheck the "Run in Windows" Checkbox
8 Switch to the "DirectX(2)" panel and check "Forces HEL"
9. click OK
10. Right Click the VSK5 that shows up in the list now.
11. click "run"

A Note: Different to the ms app compat toolkit, dxwnd needs to be running if you start vsk5, otherwise the fixes are not applied.

Enjoy VSK5 without blurry textures Sourire

Happy to report it worked , for me this appears to be the definite solution, after trying the MS Compatibility tools and a couple of virtual machines.

WD again sir, I will do some more testing tomorrow as it's getting late right now.
If you don't hear from me on this subject I'm happily sailing in the virtual world again, and if you want I can make you a skin as a Thank you (pm me for more details)

Sourire Sourire Mort de rire Mort de rire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Virtual Skipper Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: